Tuesday, January 31, 2012

ENGLISH-SPANISH translation...?

I want to get a tattoo with the quote:

"If I know what love is, it is because of you".



"Si se cuales es el amor, esta debido a usted" is what I found online. can anyone second that/correct it? Thanks!!ENGLISH-SPANISH translation...?
Wow! If you're going to carry around this expression on your body for life, let's get it right!



Let's start with "If I know what love is" and go from there.



"Si se que es el amor" as written by the first answerer is correct and should be left that way - pretty much. Only thing is that the word "se" MUST have an accent mark like "s茅." Make sure this is included in your tattoo or it won't be right. The word "si" meaning "if" does not get an accent mark.



Now, the second part, "it is because of you" is much more difficult to translate. That's because the word "because" in your thoughts here actually means "you did it to me" or something like "it's your fault." It's still a romantic thought - "If I know what love is it's bacause you did it to me" or "If I know what love is, it's your fault." See what I mean. This makes translation a bit hard to do.



So here's what I think. The closest I can come in spanish and completely avoid this "guilt" idea is to say that it's "only because of you" or "solo por ti."



So my best shot at this is "Si s茅 que es el amor, es solo por ti." That hits the nail right on the head. Print that out and ask some spanish speakers what it means and I know (for sure) they'll tell you that it means "If I know what love is, it's because of you!" Don't take my word for it - try it out.



Note please that I did not say "para ti." That makes all the difference. If I used "para" then it would mean - "If I know what love means, it's all for you" and that's not what you mean. Using "por" makes it your fault - or - because of you.



Note that you NEVER use the pronoun usted in this type of sentence. Usted is only used for someone that you don't know well. Someone that you are meeting for the first time or otherwise want to show respect to such as a person in authority (be sure to use usted when a cop stops you). Otherwise, amoung friends and, for God's sake for sure, to your lover, you always use the pronoun "ti" when called for.



There are rules about when but that's another lesson. "Ti" is one of the informal (friendly) pronouns like "tu" that you use with your friends and certainly with someone that you love and are going to put it on your body for life to show that love.



Rich
"Si se que es el amor, es gracias a ti"ENGLISH-SPANISH translation...?
Si s茅 qu茅 amor es, es a causa de usted=If I know what love is, is on account of you



Si se cuales es el amor, esta debido a usted=If itself which is the love, this to owe youENGLISH-SPANISH translation...?
Si conozco el amor, es por t铆. OR:

Por t铆, conozco el amor.
T煤 me ense帽aste el significado de la palabra amor.

De ti aprend铆 lo que es amor.
Don't use that translations.



I would use: "Si s茅 lo que es el amor es por ti"
si es que se lo que es el amor, es por ti

if I know what love is, it is because of you



se que es el amor gracias a ti

I know what love is thanks to you



por ti se que es amor

Because of you I know what love is



contigo aprendi lo que es el amor

with you I learnt what love is



Usted in some LA countries is formal, and informal is TU, and in others Usted is the common you for everyone (like in Colombia)

but... I think it's a really really compromising tattoo... how about a nice drawing that can depict the same feeling?
There are many ways to say that:

Debido a ti, s茅 lo que es el amor

Gracias a ti conoc铆 el amor

Ahora s茅 lo que es el amor, y es gracias a ti

But this is the closest translation:

Si s茅 lo que es el amor, es debido a ti
Si yo s茅 lo que es el amor, es porque ustedes
  • coupons
  • 1 comment:

    1. Great Information sharing .. I am very happy to read this article .. thanks for giving us go through info.Fantastic nice. I appreciate this post.
      English to Spanish translation

      ReplyDelete